Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Francophonie vacation via Montreal.

I have spent many summers in Montreal and it is definitely my favorite North American city. It is a city full of French culture with a European vibe. The exchange rate is around one-to-one and a half, which makes it even more appealing to Americans.

For shopping, walk down Saint-Catherine's Street. It is similar to Chicago's Michigan Mile and New York's Fifth Ave. Saint-Laurent Street has eclectic boutiques full of jewelery designed by local artisans. Looking for thrifty vintage shopping? You want to look for any store with the name "Friperie."




For good cheap eats in Montreal, check out Schwartz World Famous Smoked Meat, located on Saint Catherine's Street. It was ranked the number one restaurant with entres under $10 in Montreal on urbanspoon.com. A smoked meat sandwich will set you back $5.50. Eat it like the locals, and pile on the mustard. To download a menu: http://www.schwartzsdeli.com/index2.html. I have been there a couple of times and it is always satisfying after a long day of shopping. For another cheap alternative, go to the Atwater Market for supplies and have a pic-nic at Parc Mont Royal.



If you are interested in history visit Old Montreal. Some famous attractions include, the Notre-Dame Basilica and the Old Port of Montreal. Many museums are located in Old Montreal including,the Marguerite-Bourgeoys Museum, Montreal Science Center and the Montreal Museum of Archeology and History.



I checked hotelscheap.org to find a good rate on a hotel that is close to the action in Montreal. The Best Western Europa Downtown is walking distance to Old Montreal, nightlife and Saint-Catherine's Street. Rates start at just $100 a night.

4 comments:

  1. I never would have thought of Montreal as a "hot-spot," but after my friend went there last summer with her family, and after reading your blog, I am convinced otherwise. She loved Montreal as well. I might be calling you for some travel advice if I go there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely! Ask me anytime you need information on Montreal. My fiancé's family lives there so I go there a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second two pictures are obviously of the city, but what about the friperie above it? Is it simply a general example, or does it have a special significance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a friperie on Saint-Laurent Street. I used it has an example.

    ReplyDelete